[Sussex] Any users of postgresql?

Nic James Ferrier nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk
Mon Apr 9 12:43:08 UTC 2007

Jacqui caren <jacqui.caren at ntlworld.com> writes:

>   * Pg under openMosix or similar scalability solutions.
>     on my TODO list :-)
>   * a data driven template engine in postgres
>     Have to check with eomployer first...
>   * migration from Oracle to Postgres - Pro;s and cons.
>     Some stuff is easy other bits are nigh on impossible.
>     I would love to hear other folks "tales of woe" :-)
>   * DBA tools - why are there no decent tools for Pg?
>     I still use the antique ErWIn for schema design
>     but it only supports "commercial" RDBMS I spoke to
>     CA who now own ErWIn - they have no interest in
>     supporting "non commercial" RDBMS - even though Pg is
>     standards based. Although antigque it whomps the ass
>     of every commercial Pg schema design/management tool
>     out there.

That sounds fantastic. That's a years worth of talks. We're gonna have
to have fights to decide who presents!

> Yes - but not in London - it is quicker for me to travel
> to portsmouth (60 miles) than to london (30 miles).
> I simply cannot afford to lose three hours travelling
> in the cattle wagons they still use on the Reading line.

I know what you mean.

I was considering london because most people consider it a hub, But
actually I'd rather not leave my kitchen.

I guess we could ask various lug's if we could do BOFs.

Considering that this sort of event could be considered very cheap
training do you think that meeting during the day would be a good
idea? It might make it easier for people to assemble in somewhere
other than london. A meetup in the afternoon, into the early evening
would mean that people could get home despite quite a long trip.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk