[Sussex] Which Broadband? [Was: MySQL won't start]

Steve 'Dobbo' Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Aug 17 20:57:13 UTC 2007

Ian

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 08:48:49PM +0100, iangordon wrote:
> 	I have just subscribed to this list and have already found a reason to post
> to it.

First welcome to the list.  All are welcome and I hope you enjoy your time here.

Some of us meet up in Horsham on the last Thursday of the month, I hope
you can make it. It would be nice to see a new face.

And lastly, before getting to your question, a word about list etiquette. It
is considered bad form to start a new topic by just replying to an existing
e-mail, especial when you don't change the subject line.  Some of us (like me)
use a mail reader that groups e-mail together.  Therefore your email appeared
at first glance to be a reply to an earlier posting in an old thread.

It maybe that someone who has much to tell you about their broadband set up is
not a MySQL expert and would not have taken the trouble to look at your e-mail.
If you want to start a new topic (thread) then just send a new e-mail, I have
the Sussex LUG email address aliased as "slug" so I can just hit send, enter
"slug" and an appropriate subject before just typing away.  It realy is no more
trouble as I don't have to delete the old text first.

> I am considering, at long last, going over to broadband and am
> somewhat confused by the complexity of what is on offer. Eg, Tiscali was
> recommended but a visit to the website  indicates that that organisation is
> anything but 'linux friendly'. Can anybody point me towards an ISP that is?

The best suggestion I can give is get a router.  A route is a little box (like
and external modem) that sits between the phone line and your computer.  Make
sure that it is configurable via a web interface.  If it does then you shouldn't
have any problems.

The real advantages of a router are two fold.

  1). The router uses standard network protocols to talk with your computer.
      Protocols that Linux understands very well.  In fact it is possible to
      install Linux on a computer with a simple network-installer CD and a
      broadband connection.

  2). A router is a proper network device, it will happy support more than just
      one computer.  If you have a family then it is possible to have everyones
      computer on-line at the same time - it really isn't a problem.

If you do have a number of computers to connect then it is worth considering a
wireless router.  These are more expensive and there is a security issue to deal
with - not a problem, just something to be aware of - but the advantage is that
you don't have to run cable all over your house.

As for which ISP it probably doesn't matter today - so long as you get a router.
I use Zen - they are not the cheapest but the do offer a very, very qood service.
I've been with them for over 4 years now and in the time I have only ever been
off-line for less than two week.  I run my computers 24x7x365 - even when I'm
not at home.  Most of that down time was problems at my end.  Like a week when
my old router died - not Zen's fault.

At the other end are the phone companies that offer free Internet with their
phone packages.  I put my parents on-line with Talk-Talk.  They were already
Talk-Talk customers and the extra service was only £10 pcm and included all
calls for free.  I can't say that their service is any where like as good as
Zen's.  When I'm there I notice slowdowns and peek periods (which I never have
with Zen).  But having said that their service is very much cheaper.

If you want to check out the various ISP then check out http://www.thinkbroadband.com
(was adslguide.org.uk).  They've got lots of information about Broadband so
have a good read (well they did years ago when I was looking at getting
broadband).

Hope this helps.  If you can make it to the Horsham meeting I would be happy
to go over this in much more detail and show you want you have to do.  Just
let me know.  Or you could just ask another question on this list.