[Sussex] MythTV

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sun Feb 4 02:22:03 UTC 2007

David

On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 11:12:29AM +0000, David Morris wrote:
> I'm considering breaking my one box machine into 2 (frontend, backend)
> and was curious as to what spec machine you'd recommend for the back.
> The way I read it the backend just takes whats comes in on the cards and
> dumps it onto the hard disk in mpeg2.  Then would just need to server
> this file up to be played.  This indicates to me that it only needs to
> be faster enough to server the files up.
>
> Since I'll only be serving one client to begin with, would I get away
> with a using a 500Mhz machine? a dual cpu 450Mhz machine or should I
> just spend the £50 on a AMD 2800+ board/MB?

I'm using a PII 400MHz system with a PVR-350 running both frontend and
backend.

If I want to watch TV in bed I use:
   ssh root at mythbox cat /dev/video0 | mplayer -
to stream the video to my laptop.

I still see 76% idle time from top on the myth box.  So long as the CPU
is not being used to encode / decode video here should be no problem with
performance given that the IO subsystem is up to the task, which my ATA
are with UDMA(33) enabled.