[Sussex] MythTV

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Sat Feb 3 11:32:27 UTC 2007

David Morris wrote:
> I'm considering breaking my one box machine into 2 (frontend, backend)
> and was curious as to what spec machine you'd recommend for the back.
> The way I read it the backend just takes whats comes in on the cards
> and dumps it onto the hard disk in mpeg2.  Then would just need to
> server this file up to be played.  This indicates to me that it only
> needs to be faster enough to server the files up.
>
> Since I'll only be serving one client to begin with, would I get away
> with a using a 500Mhz machine? a dual cpu 450Mhz machine or should I
> just spend the £50 on a AMD 2800+ board/MB?
>
> Dave
>
> __ Sussex mailing list
> Sussex at mailman.lug.org.uk
> E-mail Address: sussex at mailman.lug.org.uk

Hi David,

I use a Duron 1300 for my backend - that runs 4 DVB-T cards without
issue.  Mythbackend uses about 30% CPU whilst watching live TV (record +
play at the same time),  so I would expect your 500MHz to be capable of
running it.  If you start using multiple frontends though, you might
well run out of steam!

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Richie