[Sussex] Adaptec 2100S not recognising drive

Jamie Penman-Smithson jpenman.smithson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 15:54:09 UTC 2007

Last week one of the drives in my RAID array died.

Address      Type              Manufacturer/Model      Capacity  Status
d0b0t0d0     RAID 5 (Redundant ADAPTEC  RAID-5         52098MB   Degraded
d0b0t0d0     Disk Drive (DASD) QUANTUM  ATLAS V 18 WLS 17366MB   Optimal
d0b0t1d0     Disk Drive (DASD) UNKNOWN  --UNKNOWN--    0MB       Missing
d0b0t2d0     Disk Drive (DASD) QUANTUM  ATLAS_V_18_WLS 17510MB   Optimal
d0b0t3d0     Disk Drive (DASD) QUANTUM  ATLAS_V_18_WLS 17510MB   Optimal

(Thanks for the suggestions on getting a replacement)

So, I managed to find a new drive, however in the Adaptec RAID setup,
it shows up as "Missing Component":

(0,0,0,0) RAID-5
(0,0) QUANTUM ATLAS V 18 WLS
(0,1) Missing Component
(0,2) QUANTUM ATLAS_V_18_WLS
(0,3) QUANTUM ATLAS_V_18_WLS

The adapter is an Adaptec 2100S.

The old drive was

Quantum Atlas V 3.5 series 18.3 Ultra3 U160 scsi
(Dell P/N JP-080-DJJ-12541-06H-00AC)

When it was connected it showed up in the RAID setup as 'Failed'.

The new drive is:

Quantum Atlas V 3.5 series 18.3 Ultra3 U160
(Dell P/N JP-080DJJ-12544-0AN-013Y)

It lights up at boot, but then there's nothing and it's ignored. This
is pretty new territory for me, the only thing different that I can
see is the slightly different part numbers.

Any ideas on what's causing this? I'm tearing my hair out..

Thanks in advance,

--
-Jamie L. Penman-Smithson <jpenman.smithson at gmail.com>