[Sussex] Adaptec 2100S not recognising drive

John Crowhurst info at johnscomputersupport.co.uk
Tue Feb 6 22:17:18 UTC 2007

On Tue, February 6, 2007 15:54, Jamie Penman-Smithson wrote:
> Last week one of the drives in my RAID array died.
>
> Address      Type              Manufacturer/Model      Capacity  Status
d0b0t0d0     RAID 5 (Redundant ADAPTEC  RAID-5         52098MB
Degraded
> d0b0t0d0     Disk Drive (DASD) QUANTUM  ATLAS V 18 WLS 17366MB   Optimal
d0b0t1d0     Disk Drive (DASD) UNKNOWN  --UNKNOWN--    0MB       Missing
d0b0t2d0     Disk Drive (DASD) QUANTUM  ATLAS_V_18_WLS 17510MB   Optimal
d0b0t3d0     Disk Drive (DASD) QUANTUM  ATLAS_V_18_WLS 17510MB   Optimal

> (Thanks for the suggestions on getting a replacement)
>
> So, I managed to find a new drive, however in the Adaptec RAID setup, it
shows up as "Missing Component":

> (0,0,0,0) RAID-5
> (0,0) QUANTUM ATLAS V 18 WLS
> (0,1) Missing Component
> (0,2) QUANTUM ATLAS_V_18_WLS
> (0,3) QUANTUM ATLAS_V_18_WLS

My guess is that you need to mark the drive for a rebuild somehow. What
options does the setup program give you? Can you select the drive to do
things with it?

> It lights up at boot, but then there's nothing and it's ignored. This is
pretty new territory for me, the only thing different that I can see is
the slightly different part numbers.

I suspect this is because the disk is blank and hasn't been initialised
with the RAID disklabel.

--
John Crowhurst
John's Computer Support