[Sussex] BBC Video Downloads

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sat Feb 10 03:36:18 UTC 2007

Angelo

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 03:51:03PM -0000, angelo.servini at claybrook.co.uk wrote:
> While it is true, as you have shown below that DRM is broken.  Surely
> Microsoft is aware of this?  If they are aware of this limitation, does
> it not imply that they have other motives why they are pushing DRM.  I
> would suggest their old motive to be the most likely - and that is
> lock-in of technology into their own flawed universe.

The best motive I've heard from pundits on why Microsoft has put some much
DRM into Vista is to court the Entertainment Industry.  If Vista is the
only "secure" computer OS for delivering movies or songs then that is
likely to be the only one that Hollywood and the Music Industry supports.
In order words: lock-in.

What makes me smile is that some of the very companies that are asking for
this level of DRM in Vista are not likely to put it in the set-top boxes
that they will build to sell in Dixons or Currys.

My predictions for this year is that in Jan '08 it will be cheaper to
buy a PC, pre-installed with Vista, that will NOT play HiDef content
AND a set-top box that will than it will to buy just a PC with Vista
that can.

I've heard some pundits speculate that if HD-DVD and Blu-Ray do not
take off in the next 12 to 24 months then they will be dead ducks.
Increases in broadband speeds and on-demand services will be adopted
and the consumer will just never by DH-DVD & Blu-Ray in numbers just
like they didn't with Video Discs and Eight-Track.