[Sussex] Retrieving part of an LVM Volume...

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Tue Feb 27 18:15:46 UTC 2007

Hi Folks,

I have a bit of a prob at the moment.  One of my MythTV disks has just
died (making a lovely 'Clunk' noise every second or so - nice!)  Anyway,
this disk was part of an LVM volume spanning 2 disks called
/dev/MythGroup/MythVol.  The other disk is still fine, and I can read it
without problem.  Now, as LVM is a simple soul, and the failed disk was
the second disk, in theory, I should be able to recover the files on the
first disk, as they should have been written from the start onwards -
the question is how?

I've been googling around a bit, and have seen a few articles which
explain how to recover an entire LVM volume by moving machine, but so
far I am at a loss as to how to get the data off the first disk intact.

Obviously, as this is just TV, its not urgent or anything, it would just
be nice :)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Cheers,

Richie