[Sussex] Retrieving part of an LVM Volume...

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Tue Feb 27 18:36:10 UTC 2007

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 05:01:57PM +0000, Richie Jarvis wrote:
> I have a bit of a prob at the moment.  One of my MythTV disks has just
> died (making a lovely 'Clunk' noise every second or so - nice!)  Anyway,
> this disk was part of an LVM volume spanning 2 disks called
> /dev/MythGroup/MythVol.  The other disk is still fine, and I can read it
> without problem.  Now, as LVM is a simple soul, and the failed disk was
> the second disk, in theory, I should be able to recover the files on the
> first disk, as they should have been written from the start onwards -
> the question is how?

I believe you will need to issue

# vgchange -P -ay

the -P telling it that it should assemble only partially-accessible
volume groups substituting /dev/ioerror for the missing PVs.  I have
never attempted this.  This should work, if it doesn't then I would
suggest your next port of call is the lvm list which is very good.

> Obviously, as this is just TV, its not urgent or anything, it would just
> be nice :)

disks are cheap, human time isn't, I suggest software RAID for any
multi-disk LVM setup.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB