[Sussex] Call for Speakers

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Thu Jan 18 15:32:16 UTC 2007

Alan

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 02:27:13PM +0000, Alan Pope wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 00:11 +0000, Steve Dobson wrote:
>
> > If would like a talk about a particular topic then please feel free to
> > ask.  I can't guarantee that it will happen, as someone has to be prepared
> > to give the talk.  But one never knows, perhaps there is someone out there
> > that would say "I could give that talk, but I didn't think anyone would
> > be interested."
> >

> Would it be worth having a page on the website listing "talks wanted"
> and "talks offered"?

Personally I don't think so.  We have not got any WiKi software running
on the site yet so any page would have to be manually maintained.

I could add a required talks bit to the exiting Moot page, but so far
very few people have asked for a particular talk so I'm guessing that
it wouldn't get a lot of use.

> > So come on, don't be shy, support your local LUG.
>
> I'd love to come down and give a talk :) (not local though)

And I'd like to to come and talk too.

I would also like to visit other clubs and give some of the talks I've
given in the past to them.  I think that this would be a very good way
to encourage interLUG communications.

The first problem is how to get those that are prepared to travel and
talk in contact with those clubs that would like to host.  Alan, you're
probably better suited to figure this out.  Would just a WiKi page on
lug.org.uk do, or just posting to lugmasters?

The other problem is budget.  I don't mind travelling as long as my out
of pocket expenses are covered.  Would locals hosting be prepared to
offer a spare room for the night?  We need something that allows us
all to communicate and set this up.