[Sussex] lircd problems

James Smith james at floppy.org.uk
Sat Jan 27 14:18:52 UTC 2007

Afternoon all,

I have a quick question to run by you, particularly those of you
running MythTV, and even more particularly those of you doing that
with a Sky box...

Right, if there's anyone still listening, here's my setup:

Shuttle PC running MythTV, video into a PVR350 from my sky box and out
to the TV. MythTV controlled via a universal remote using the IR input
on the PVR350. Sky box is controlled by a IR transmitter connected to
the serial port of the PC. So, I have one instance of lircd to receive
the remote signals, and a second instance to provide control for the
sky box. The problem is this..

Whenever I start the machine, the first lircd daemon start
automatically, and works fine. The second (sky) one starts, and works
until I actually try to send something, and then it crashes. Starting
it manually after this works fine ever after. I have a "service lircd
restart" in my rc.local to try to recover from this, but it doesn't
happen late enough - only when MythTV first tries to use the daemon
does it actually crash. This is, needless to say, a complete pain in
the arse, especially as the power to my house appears to be connected
via a kitkat wrapper and keeps going off at regular intervals,
requiring a manual restart of the daemon every time.

Does anyone have a similar setup, or have similar problems? Any
suggestions on what to look for, or how to debug lircd to find out why
it's crashing?

I can provide version numbers later, but I'm nowhere near the machine
at the moment...

cheers,
James