[Sussex] lircd problems

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Sat Jan 27 16:22:28 UTC 2007

On Sat, January 27, 2007 14:18, James Smith wrote:
> Whenever I start the machine, the first lircd daemon start
> automatically, and works fine. The second (sky) one starts, and works
> until I actually try to send something, and then it crashes. Starting
> it manually after this works fine ever after. I have a "service lircd
> restart" in my rc.local to try to recover from this, but it doesn't
> happen late enough - only when MythTV first tries to use the daemon
> does it actually crash. This is, needless to say, a complete pain in
> the arse, especially as the power to my house appears to be connected
> via a kitkat wrapper and keeps going off at regular intervals,
> requiring a manual restart of the daemon every time.

If the daemon crashes completely, you could try installing something
called Watcher scripts (available from here:
http://www.i-pi.com/watcher.html) and configure it to check periodically
the status of the daemon. As Watcher is dependent on a shell script, it
can be tailored to start a service from cron if it stops.

I'd suggest investing in a cheap UPS and run your stuff on that, so if you
have a brownout or power failure, you can keep going without interruption.

--
John