[Sussex] Tight File Server

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 08:26:19 UTC 2007

On 7/12/07, Nic James Ferrier <nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk> wrote:

> "Andrew Guard" <andrew07 at andrewguard.com> writes:
>
> > Alright I have no idea how this going to be done but believe it could be
> done.
> >
> > First of all it must have a day to day zero maintenance system. I am
> > just lazy and do not need the phone calls everyday.
> >
> > They would like to be able to access files on a "server". Over a LAN
> > and WAN, easily. They don't mind if there access files over WAN is via
> > web service. But gain access to files LAN should be working accessible
> > with Windows.
> >
> > So got them to agree to these sort of idea's then found out what
> > "server" set up was.
> >
> > Pentium 2
> > 64M Ram
> >
> > So can it be done, or it just to tight?
>
> Bit small.
>
> I'd try lighttpd/webdav.

As soon as you do *anything* CPU intensive, such as SSL access, SSH access,
virtual hosts,  serving more than a few users at a time, you're going to
start swapping like nobody's business. This is going to dog any noticeable
performance even worse than the slow CPU will. Like handcarving your own
doorknobs, it's usually easier and faster just to buy them or even salvage
them.