[Sussex] Captive portal

James Smith james at floppy.org.uk
Wed Mar 7 23:26:31 UTC 2007

Hi,

I've found getting wireless cards to work under Linux to be a complete pain.

These sites were quite useful, though they might both be a bit out of date:
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/
http://users.linpro.no/janl/hardware/wifi.html

I have found the ralink chipsets to be OK, but the driver was
complicated and not 100% reliable. I also tried madwifi briefly on
another card as well, but it didn't work out of the box and I couldn't
be bothered to hack with it.

The only way I found to get a reliable wireless connection working
under linux was to use an Intel wireless card and their drivers (some
of which are in the standard kernels these days). That gave by far the
best results for me, and still is doing. I had an Intel 2200BG miniPCI
card working perfectly in my desktop before it died, and the 3945ABG
in this laptop is also excellent.

All that is on FC5, so I hope this helps!

Incidentally, my old 2200BG card with PCI adapter and external aerial
is for sale - mail me offlist if you're interested ;)

cheers,
James