[Sussex] Captive portal

Dave Phelan dave.phelan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 10:48:17 UTC 2007

Brendan,

On 3/7/07, Brendan Whelan <b_whelan at mistral.co.uk> wrote:
> I have two US Robotics Wireless PCI cards ( USR2216), one of which I will
> install in the PC but I cannot find a Linux driver for the one I would like
> to put in the PC5 server.
>
> Is there a driver I have failed to find and/or is there a recommended low
> cost wireless adapter I could get that is compatible with FC5?

Watch out. Some vendors change chipsets in their cards, but keep the
model number the same (D-link, ISTR, for one).

piertopier.net tend to go for Prism/2 chipset cards for 802.11b (or
Prism/2.5 or 3 if we have to) which are well supported on linux. The
Netgear MA311 has served us well, and you should be able to get one
off ebay for 10 or 15 quid. The Atheros chipset is also supported
(madwifi drivers). The old Hermes chipset (used in orinoco cards) is
well supported too - I have a pcmcia one working in my server via a
PCMCIA to PCI bridge card.

Cisco Aironet cards are more expensive, but also well supported under linux.

Good luck
Dave Ph
--
 Dave Phelan CCIE#3590   ICQ: 50180416    GSM: +44 (0)7776 168561
 dave.phelan at gmail.com                  http://www.davephelan.org