[Sussex] Ubuntu used in the fight against AIDS

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 13:50:22 UTC 2007

linux at oneandoneis2.org wrote:
> Quoting Geoff Teale <gteale at cmedresearch.com>:
>> ***pheeeewww***.... that might sound like a bunch of marketing spiel,
>> but it's all true.  The result of that is that we're growing at a
>> phenomenal rate, driven purely by profit (not venture capital) and
>> hiring nearly continuously - so if any of the above is of interest to
>> you why not browse our jobs listings here:
>>
>> http://www.cmedresearch.com/join/
>
> Blimey, there's a few more of them then there used to be!
>
> There's a couple there I'd be tempted by (I've been working in
> Clinical Safety at Novartis for the last eight years & I'm looking for
> a change) but I'm trying to arrange to go back to university for a
> year right now. If that falls through I'll definitely take another
> look at your website...

Oh, it's fun to get good open source (often Linux these days!) working in
clinical environments and research. I did a dozen years of medical research
in the US, where is where I learned Linux and the like. And it's so much fun
to deflate EXCITING! NEW! REVOLUTIONARY! claims. That's why the language of
the language of the cmedresearch site is a bit frightening in its use of
words like "paradigm shift". Using it twice on the same page
(http://www.cmedresearch.com/about/idam.html) is excessive.

The software and tools may be fine and useful, but the overuse of buzzwords
and lack of anything resembling a technical explanation of their service
is..... troubling. Worse, the "join" web page is full of "Salary:
Competitive" listings, and every single job description says as its first
line "Are you highly motivated" or "We are seeking ambitious".

That's always a sign that the company is marketing driven, not service or
product driven. Such environments can be very exciting, but are filled with
risks.