[Sussex] PIII 700 MHz 128MB RAM 20GB HDD [Was New members at moots]

Steve 'Dobbo' Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sat Mar 31 07:31:38 UTC 2007

Fay

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 11:40:58PM +0100, Fay Zee wrote:
> On 30/03/07, linux at oneandoneis2.org <linux at oneandoneis2.org> wrote:
> >I must say, I only know a bare handful of names myself, but then I
> >forgot that yesterday was Thursday until gone nine o'clock (hence my
> >lack of attendance) so I hadn't wanted to say anything :o)
> >
> >Dominic
>
> Yes, I missed you, Dominic!!!!
>
> I had saved up some questions on DSL :-]
>
> I mostly wanted to know the processor, memory and hdd spec of the
> laptop you were using to demonstrate DSL a couple of months ago.

It was Gavin that gave the talk on DSL not Dominic.  Dominic's talk
was on blogging.

> Secondly, if we're talking about a PIII 700 MHz 128MB RAM 20GB HDD
> laptop, would you recommend Xubuntu or DSL?

Why not try both and see which one works for you?  That's the one
big advantage that "free" software as over paid software - you don't
have to commit to something before you commit your limited resources
(like money) [1].

The single best thing you can do to speed up any computer is throw
memory at it.  The Linux kernel is designed to buffer as much of
the disk at it can in the memory that isn't being used being used by
the applications and other programs you're running.

This is especially applicable to laptops because a laptop disk is designed
to be used in limited power, mobile devices so they are not designed to
be as fast as possible.  After all the one the you don't want any disk to
do is lose your data.

Steve

[1] Yes I know that you time is also a limited resource, but it it a
cost that you have to bare whatever you do.

--
                              Steve "Dobbo" Dobson
                                steve at dobson.org
                               SussexLUG Master