[Sussex] PIII 700 MHz 128MB RAM 20GB HDD [Was New members at moots]

Fay Zee fay.linux at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 31 18:50:43 UTC 2007

On 31/03/07, Colin Tuckley <colin at tuckley.org> wrote:
> I'd say DSL with that small an amount of RAM.
> However, you should have a look on Ebay and see if you can find it some more
> RAM, for 10 quid you can probably upgrade to 256Mb RAM and at that point you
> could run pretty much any Linux Distro.
>
> You didn't say what the screen resolution was, but that's probably a more
> limiting factor in running a GUI than the RAM or processor speed.

So basically the user experience all boils down to memory, not
processor size ...

My newly acquired PIII 700Mhz laptop is a Dell Latitude L400 model.

I chose this laptop for its light weight and small, slim size.

It has a 12.1-inch diagonal active-matrix display, with XGA
(1024-by-768) resolution.
It's ultraportable - lightweight so no internal FDD or CD-ROM. However
it has USB for use with pen drive media. I picked up a Dell Latitude
external FDD for it and I'm expecting an external CD-ROM for it soon.
I don't know about the current availability of an external DVD, but
the L400 shares media bay modules with the C series and can apparently
take FDD, CDROM, CDRW, DVD, CDRW/DVD Combo and DVDRW drives.

The L400 uses PC-100 type memory and has 1 bank - a total of 1 memory
socket. It was originally released with 64MB of RAM and supports up to
256MB of RAM, though mine has 128MB. It takes the PC100 SDRAM SODIMMs.
If I want to upgrade from 128MB to 256MB I'll apparently be looking
for a chip of 32x64-100MHz PC100, 144p SODIMM, 3.3v, Sync. Someone at
a computer parts place told me this isn't very widely available. I saw
one on eBay for £40.

Fay