[Sussex] PIII 700 MHz 128MB RAM 20GB HDD [Was New members at moots]

Colin Tuckley colin at tuckley.org
Sat Mar 31 19:37:43 UTC 2007

Fay Zee wrote:

> So basically the user experience all boils down to memory, not
> processor size ...

Pretty much, because if you run out of memory then it starts swapping and
thats s l o w .....

> It has a 12.1-inch diagonal active-matrix display, with XGA
> (1024-by-768) resolution.

Thats about the minimum for using a GUI, but it works well as long as you
don't try to put too much on the screen.

> The L400 uses PC-100 type memory and has 1 bank - a total of 1 memory
> socket.

Ah, one of those, yes that was very short sighted of Dell to only put one
memory socket in.

> If I want to upgrade from 128MB to 256MB I'll apparently be looking
> for a chip of 32x64-100MHz PC100, 144p SODIMM, 3.3v, Sync. Someone at
> a computer parts place told me this isn't very widely available. I saw
> one on eBay for £40.

The computer store person is correct.. for today and for brand new parts.
Five years ago those memory modules were being used in all laptops. You
ought to be able to find one cheaper than 40 quid on Ebay I would think,
depends how quickly you want it.

Colin

--
Colin Tuckley      |  colin at tuckley.org  |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
+44(0)1903 236872  |  +44(0)7799 143369  |     0x1B3045CE

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.