[Sussex] wysiwyg html editor

Karl E. Jorgensen karl at jorgensen.org.uk
Tue May 8 19:57:20 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 08:24:11PM +0100, Colin Tuckley wrote:
> Paul Howard wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the link. It does seem a bit more stable than NVU - only
> > crashed once in a 45 minute session.  Not had time to fiddle more in the
> > last day or so.
>
> No Probs
>
> > Why is it that there is only NVU/kompozer available for Linux?
>
> Well there is Amaya too, http://www.w3.org/Amaya/
>
> > I am surprised there aren't more people screaming out for this type of
> > app for Linux.
>
> I think most Web designers that work on Linux hand code their stuff.

Also: the term "wysiwyg" does not really apply to HTML. Browsers are
allowed to render the same document in different ways and still be
compliant. "What You Get" usually assumes a graphical browser - which is
often wrong (Javascript disabled?  Text browsers?  Text-to-speech
browsers?  Support for aural stylesheets?  Mobile devices?  Printed
version?  continue ad nauseum)

Combine that with the fact that different browsers implement (different)
subsets of the full standard (some incorrectly), "what you get" really
will vary. The only thing you can be sure of is "what you see": the HTML
and CSS code...

Perhaps WYSINWTG (What You See Is Not What They Get) is more
appropriate?  The difficulty in pronunciation itself ensures that this
acronym will never catch on...

--
Karl E. Jorgensen
karl at jorgensen.org.uk  http://www.jorgensen.org.uk/