[Sussex] Wired Network Talk...

Antony ar at f2s.com
Mon Oct 15 22:39:45 UTC 2007

Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> Also, a lot of casual setups turn off auto-negotiation, or turn it off,
> and wind up with the other end of the connection set the other way. This
> causes *BOTH* ends to drop to the lower speed

Thanks for these replies which have probably nailed at least one culprit
- I've been using a temporary 20m run of Cat5e round the door etc.

When the NIC and switch status lights both show 1000 rather than 100 can
this be trusted, or is it only showing steady carrier frequency rather
than the usable or negotiated data rate?

Is wireshark, 'time' and a 1m test cable the way to go next?  (Surely
not 'time'??)

Anthony

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different