[Sussex] Wired Network Talk...

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Tue Oct 16 04:20:26 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 11:39:36PM +0100, Antony wrote:
> Thanks for these replies which have probably nailed at least one culprit
> - I've been using a temporary 20m run of Cat5e round the door etc.

Cat5e is OK for gigabit (though cat6 better) and the minimum bend
radius is between 4 and 10 times the diameter, i.e. less than an
inch at worst.  Very sharp kinks or crushing will tend to untwist
the twisted pairs though, so can be bad.

> When the NIC and switch status lights both show 1000 rather than 100 can
> this be trusted, or is it only showing steady carrier frequency rather
> than the usable or negotiated data rate?

Hard to tell without specific experience with the devices concerned.

I reckon the most likely thing is as Nico says, a mismatch in speed
or duplex between the host devices on each end.

> Is wireshark, 'time' and a 1m test cable the way to go next?  (Surely
> not 'time'??)

It may help narrow things down yes.  I would try with a new 1 metre cat6
cable just to remove all doubt in the cable.

Cheers,
Andy