[Sussex] Cloning disks

Steve 'Dobbo' Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Sep 21 14:18:01 UTC 2007

Brendan

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 02:19:26PM +0100, Brendan Whelan wrote:
> I have used "dd" in the past but ran into problems when the disks were
> different sizes. A few blocks different was suffient to make the process
> fail.

That would happen.  dd(1) is very at doing a block by block copy but,
as you say the disks have to be the same size.

If it is a one off copy then try cp(1) with the "-a" options.  I hope
you can read the man page for details.

If your purpose is to do a back-up every so often then rsync(1) maybe more
useful to you.

Hope this helps