[Sussex] [JOB] Junior Linux Systems Administrator - Central Brighton

David Pashley david at davidpashley.com
Mon Apr 14 10:51:29 UTC 2008

We're looking for a Junior Linux Systems Admininistrator. This would
particularly suit someone who has experience of Linux, but doesn't have
the commerical experience.

Linux Systems Administrator

   Digitalbrain (http://www.digitalbrain.com) is an industry leader in the
   development and implementation of electronic learning platforms within
   educational institutions and the corporate sector. We help transform the way
   people teach, learn and manage information, whatever their specific need or
   circumstance.

Job Description:

   We currently have a vacancy for a Linux Systems Administrator (permanent), to
   be based at our offices in central Brighton, a stone's throw from Brighton
   station.

   The successful candidate will join a team of three existing Systems
   Administrators responsible for the management and upkeep of our live
   infrastructure, including around 75 servers, comprising of web, database and
   email clusters. They will also be involved in recommending and implementing
   technologies to improve scalability, performance and reliability. The role will
   involve liaising with Customer Support and Development teams.

   This role would suit a recent graduate or Linux enthusiast, as commercial
   experience is not required. A demonstrated ability to learn technologies and
   concepts is essential.

Skills Range:

   The successful candidate will have experience working with Ubuntu or Debian,
   Apache, SMTP, MySQL and scripting languages.

   They ideally would also have had some exposure to, or understanding of, some of
   the following: Tomcat, Exim, TCP/IP, network security, BGP, Juniper routers,
   VLANs, Xen, DNS using Bind and PowerDNS, IMAP using Courier/Dovecot, server
   monitoring using Nagios and Munin, Java, SSL and public key encryption, LDAP,
   Linux virtual server, automatic server installation using debian-installer pre-
   seeding and puppet, Debian packaging and server hardware.

   This is an excellent opportunity to gain practical experience any
   missing skills in an enterprise-level setting. The successful
   candidate will be expected to learn with minimal help.

   You need to be comfortable working in an environment of rapid development,
   within a multi-disciplined technical team, and be expected to actively contribute
   to the evolution of working practices and processes.

Salary:

   £20K - £24K (depending on experience)

If you are interested in this position please forward your CV to
jobs at digitalbrain.com.

--
David Pashley
david at davidpashley.com