[Sussex] Greylisting Works

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sat Apr 26 09:09:20 UTC 2008

Hi All

Spam has always been a problem, but for me (until about a year ago) not
a particular burden.  In the end it is an ongoing arms race between the
spammers and the e-mail admins, so I am always wary of new techniques to
block spam in case they are quickly defeated.

I had placed greylisting in that category.  The idea of temporally
rejecting an incoming email is easy enough to understand.  Well written
e-mail transfer software will just hold the message and try again later
at which point it is accepted; spam-bots, that implement there own
e-mail transfer software, just give up.  But I saw re-trying as being so
easy  to implement that I didn't think greylisting would work for long.

I was wrong - I am sometimes.

I turned greylisting on on my own server about a month ago with no great
improvement.  SpamAssassin has been running on that server for quite a
while and going a good job.  I just don't get that much spam.  So I
wasn't quite ready to start waving the greylisting flag.

But over the last couple of months I've also been configuring a
front-end e-mail server for a client.  It's just a filter and forwarding
service.  It runs SpamAssassin on all inbound e-mails and then forwards
them on to a Windows Small Business Server (SBS) if they don't score
highly enough.  There is also anti-spam software (GFI) running on the
SBS to further check the incoming emails.

The email front-end server is a Debian GNU/Linux system running Exim
4.63 and SpamAssassin 3.1.7.  I have configured rejection of very high
scoring spams in the Exim body ACL, but this only accounts for a small
number of spams (~100 per day).  Bad destination addresses account for
much, much more, some 1000-1500 e-mails/day and known spam IP addresses
(thanks to SORBS) about 500-1000.

This left about 500-700 e-mails/day that got though, and of that about
150 were being sanitised by their SpamAssassin score for human checking.
Sanitised emails are dropped into an IMAP accessible account with
sub-directories for spam and ham training by the companies employees.

GFI (the anit-spam software on SBS) was doing a good job to, so we set
up a honeypot account to which GFI could forward it's spams for further
automatic training of SpamAssassin (and it was depositing around 250
spams/day).  This account was also IMAP accessible to make it easy for
the staff to check things where going where they should.

Now all this filtering was taking care of the lions share of spams, but
there was still a burdensome 200-300 email/day that got though to a user
account.  So yesterday I turned on greylisting on this server too.

What a difference!  Yesterday's 600+ e-mails that were passed on to SBS
dropped to <200.  Sanitised emails dropped by about 50%.  But most
impressively GFI didn't send a single spam into the honeypot account.

Now I'm not claiming that you can completely remove the burden of spam,
but I would say that a well trained SpamAssassin and greylisting can
reduce it to an acceptable level.

Steve Dobson

There is a certain impertinence in allowing oneself to be burned for an
opinion.
-- Anatole France