[Sussex] Error codes

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Wed Apr 30 17:05:38 UTC 2008

Brendan

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 16:06 +0100, Brendan Whelan wrote:
> I am getting a linux error code of 134 when trying to run a program on a
> shared server.
> How can I find out what error code 134 indicates?  Thanks, Brendan

There are no such thing as "Linux error codes".

All programs are allowed to report an exit status.  This is an 8-bit
unsigned value where zero (0) represents no error.  It is up to each
program to define what any non-zero exit status mean.

Some programmers user the error codes define in errno.h (a C header
file), but this is by no means a convention, let alone a standard.  In
fact many old time Unix hackers (like me) frown on this practise.  A
better method is to return 1 for the first error condition, 2 for the
second and so on.

Your best hope for finding out what this means is to have a look at the
documentation for the program.

Have you run the program from the command line?  Many programs will
report what the error is there before exiting.  Others write to a log
file or the system logger.

Steve Dobson

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home.
-- Ken Olsen (President of Digital Equipment Corporation),
Convention of the World Future Society, in Boston, 1977