[Sussex] Linux wireless support - Realtek rtl 8187 B

Steve Redshaw sr at steveredshaw.idps.co.uk
Tue Aug 19 16:29:28 UTC 2008

thanks Steve,

I will take your advice and wait, I am not wedded to OpenSuse, but I
couldn't get Mandriva installed on that laptop (we did have a try to solve
that on this forum). I like Mandriva, though OpenSuse is good to use too
(from a GUI perspective of course, I'm not too knowledgeable about what goes
on under the surface yet!!) - I tried Freespire too but found the graphics
very 'clunky' and it was quite awkward to operate

what distros would other recommend for a green Linux explorer? I suppose
there are strengths and weaknesses in all, I'm not clear about the different
basic types of Linux (Debian, Ubuntu?), different distros use different ones
I think?

a problem that has just occurred on my Sony Vaio running Mandriva 2008.1 is
I've lost all printing capability, don't know if its due to an update or
what, my printer appears on the printer hardware screen of Mandriva Control
Centre, but there is absolutely no response when I send a document to print

how can I fix this?

Steve