[Sussex] [Surrey] Putting systems onto a SD card

Antony ar at f2s.com
Sun Dec 7 22:43:19 UTC 2008

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 16:04:55 +0000, "gerry" said:
> Hi
> Sorry for the dual posting but I am not sure if the Sussex Lug site is
> running at the moment
> However the problem is how do I get Ubuntu or any other Linux system to
> run from an SD card? I know Desmond has done it but when I try following
> various sets of instruction I get things like 'No Kernel' or just a
> flashing cursor. Inside Ubuntu there is a 'Create a USB start up  disk'
> but this is for installing a system on a machine not running it from the
> USB or SD. Help

Not tried it myself yet but these should help:
  http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

Some relevant bits:

"Using the USB installer in 8.10, (usb-creator), makes a bootable copy
of the Live CD and provides a couple of files for storing stuff,
(casper-rw and home-rw).
By Full install I meant insert CD, insert flash drive, start computer.
At first screen after language pick "Install Ubuntu" then complete the
setup as if installing to internal drive.
(Most modern computers just see a flash drive as another HDD)."

"the "casper" is the ro filesystem (inherited from the liveCD), on top
of which the "casper-rw" rw filesystem is overlayed using aufs. It is
not a "real" installation, but it works quite well. However, a "real"
installation on a USB stick is faster and able to manage the disk space
much more efficiently."

HTH
Anthony