[Sussex] Microsoft actively promoting OpenOffice.org

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 09:24:20 UTC 2008

This is normal behaviour for Microsoft.
It makes a lot of marketing sense, it forces a lot of people to waste
their money (giving it to MS) and only after a while do they put patch
in to allow the reading of older MS documents.
MS do it every time they introduce new version of Office.

> Say that again.with Micro$oft Office 2003 with it SP3, it will not
> open files from previous versions of Office. You only saviour will be
> OpenOffice.Org
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/02/xp_service_pack/

Full marks to OpenOffice.org!
Cor! the workaround looks involved so OpenOffice.org it is. Now how
shall we use the unexpected bonus we have just made?