[Sussex] Ping of life?

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Wed Jan 30 14:58:49 UTC 2008

** Steve Dobson <steve at dobson.org> [2008-01-30 11:41]:
> On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 10:58 +0000, Paul Tansom wrote:
> > ** Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> [2008-01-30 09:43]:
> > >
> > > You sure about that? It's not changed in the last year or so that I recall,
> > > and I too use a filter based on List-Id.
> > ** end quote [Alan Pope]
> >
> > Yes, quite sure. Are you filtering based on the whole List-Id or just
> > part of it?
> >
> > Up to and including Jan 8th emails from this list have:

> > Post Jan 8th they have:

> Are that would be me; I did make a that edit.  I don't like long names and it had been
> bothering me for some time so I "fixed" it.   I didn't think of people filtering on
> the descriptive part.  Sorry.

I didn't realise I was. It must have been a careless cut and paste since
the rest of my lists are filtered just on the address based bit.

> On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 11:20 +0000, Alan Pope wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 10:58:18AM +0000, Paul Tansom wrote:
> > > Yes, quite sure. Are you filtering based on the whole List-Id or just
> > > part of it?
> >
> > Just the bit that matters :)
> >
> > sussex.mailman.lug.org.uk
>
> I suggest that you follow Alan's example and filter on the "bit that
> matters" as that
> isn't likely to be changed often.

I've fixed it now. When I get the chance I'll go through the rest of my
procmail files to check if I've done the same on any others.
** end quote [Steve Dobson]

At the moment I'm deep in debug mode on one of my boxes that is playing
silly b*****s. I had it powered down for a month or so (it being Windows
and not dual booted yet - I can install Linux to the hd, but not boot -
something to do with the ITE chipst on the controller). When I powered
up it just locked up on me each time I tried to log in, or the
mouse/keyboard would become very intermittent in response. After some
experimentation I worked out that this only happened when I ran my dual
screen setup with one of them in a higher resolution than 640x480. After
testing with a live Ubuntu CD and having similar issues I decided my
nVidia card must be faulty (probably memory) so I bought another. After
several reboots, uninstall and reinstall of the graphics drivers a few
times everything settled down. I've just rebooted after a Windows Update
and I'm back to square one :(

This is all taking me away from earning money and, more importantly(?)
clearing some space for a rack and some new (to me) servers in my rather
cramped office. I still haven't got my head around transporting the
thing yet!