[Sussex] Make IE 7 crash

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Thu Jan 31 15:48:16 UTC 2008

Vicky

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 15:31 +0000, Vicky Lamburn wrote:
> Take today's discovery for example: I am now using the <button> tag
> instead of <input type="submit" etc. This gives me the potential in a
> compliant browser (anything Gecko, Webkit/KHTML and Opera based
> generally) the opportunity to have a submit button a la:
<snip>
> Guess what. IE including the latest version 7 with its patches doesn't
> do this. (Go on, say you're surprised) Instead it sends the innerHTML
> of the button tags, meaning that IE will send "Accept Changes" instead
> of acceptChanges and "Reject Changes" instead of "rejectChanges"
>
> Ridiculously infuriating.
>
> Solution is to use Javascript which is less than optimal with the following:
>
> <button type="submit" id="acceptChanges" value="1"
> onclick="this.setAttribute('value',this.value);"
> >Accept Changes</button>
> <button type="submit" id="rejectChanges" value="0"
> onclick="this.setAttribute('value',this.value);"
> >Reject Changes</button>
>
> Oh the fun I have every week waging battle with the delights of IE and
> 80% of the population that use it.

I've always used:
   <input type="submit" name="accept" id="accept" value="Accept">
   <input type="submit" name="reject" id="reject" value="Reject">

as that way I can test for the existence of a named attribute in the
returned data stream (I mainly use J2EE these days) to determine which
button was pressed.  Doesn't this work with IE?