[Sussex] from a green Linux explorer

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at syscall.org.uk
Fri Jul 11 15:08:02 UTC 2008

Steve

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 15:31 +0100, Steve Redshaw wrote:
> thanks John,

> 1) let it start with existing Boot options, progress bar stops at
> about 10%
> press escape and get the following error screen;
>
> www.steveredshaw.co.uk/error_screen.jpg

I spotted the following in the process stack:
	skb_recv_datagram
	netlink_recvmsg
	sock_recvmsg

This suggests that it is falling over when it receives something over
the network.

What type of network card is installed?

Try pulling the network cable before booting and see if that has any
effect.  If not try pulling the network card completely.

> 2) delete VGA=788 from Boot options, get black screen, much scrolling,
> ending with this;
>
> Code: Bad EIP value
> EIP: [<00000004>] 0x4 SS:ESP 0068:d747df34
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt
>
> 3) add noapic to Boot options, progress bar stops at about 10%
> press Escape - much scrolling then this;
>
> EIP: [<c018a024>] kmem_cache_alloc+0x44/0xb0 SS:ESP 0068:d7469d4c
> ---[ end trace 251e46bd3255ac9c  ]---
> Fixing recursive fault but reboot needed!
>
> 4) change VGA to VGA=normal, black screen, much scrolling, ending with
> this;
>
> EIP: [<c02cfdcd>] skb_dequeue+0x2d/0x60 SS:ESP 0068:d787dcf0

This is the same end message as the screen shot.  Me thinks that this is
the same cause and not due to any boot parameters you are setting.

While model Medion laptop is it?  Is is listed on the following page?
	http://tuxmobil.org/medion.html

Steve Dobson

Sigmund Freud is alleged to have said that in the last analysis the
entire field
of psychology may reduce to biological electrochemistry.