[Sussex] folder permissions

Steve Redshaw sr at steveredshaw.idps.co.uk
Sun Jul 13 07:00:26 UTC 2008

Another laptop! I have installed Mandriva Spring 2008.1 on my Sony Vaio
laptop and it is working really well.

Now to try to get the network up and running. When I tried to configure the
network I got a message saying the file /lib/firmware/ipw2200-*.fw was
missing and giving a web page where I could find it. I have downloaded this
file (presumably it is the driver for my wireless card) and have attempted
to extract it to /lib/firmware. However I do not have permissions to write
to this folder.

Is the correct thing to do (extracting the downloaded file to the location
cited in the configuration error message)? And if so why can't I write it to
that location (it is my computer!!)?

While I'm asking questions - Am I right in thinking the best place to
extract applications to is /bin? I have tried this, but again don't have
write permissions. Please clear up this confusion for me - thanks...

Steve Redshaw