[Sussex] Linux Suggestions

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Mon Jun 9 22:38:03 UTC 2008

David,

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 20:02:45 +0100 (GMT+01:00)
"davidpipe at tiscali.co.uk" <davidpipe at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> I've now got my donated pc up and running.  It turns out to be a 200
> MHz pentium with only 128 Mb of RAM.
>
> This seems to restrict me heavily on the new releases of Linux.  Any
> suggestions of where I can get an ISO  of  an  older  version  of  a
> KDE  fronted  Linux?
>
> TIA

A machine of this spec. can be good & useful if you can put thoughts of KDE out of your mind.

My personal recommendations would be DamnSmallLinux (www.damnsmalllinux.org) which uses Fluxbox as the window manager; or Dynebolic (http://dynebolic.org/) which is a multimedia biased distro that runs Xfce as its desktop environment.

Both of the above distros are primarily live CDs but both install easily onto HD & both will work well with older hardware.

I hope this helps.

Gavin.