[Sussex] from a green Linux explorer

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Fri Jun 27 21:56:29 UTC 2008

Steve Redshaw wrote:
> hi there,
>
> I have just joined this group and have read with interest some of the
> email discussions, I am looking for advice and guidance on using Linux OS
>
> having become increasingly frustrated with Windows, I am taking the
> plunge and starting to use Linux, as a computer user I must add, I am
> not technically minded or interested in delving into how the OS works
>
> I started with Freespire, but there are several issues like printing
> via my print server, getting the computer to record sound from the
> sound card, which work fine with Windows, but seem to be complicated
> to get working under Linux, the support I have sought, through
> searching user manuals, online documentation and posting to forums has
> been very thin and inconclusive
>
> next up is Mandriva Spring 2008, not yet installed, but I have the DVD!
>
> but my journey so far has thrown up several frustrations - is it worth
> me continuing with setting up Linux? I have no knowledge yet of
> commands, which you seem to need to get programs installed and working
> under Linux, and I haven't been able to find a simple introduction,
> everything I've read so far is too technical and way above my head -
> how can I get aquainted with working Linux as an alternative to Windows?
>

> thanks in anticipation of help and advice,
>
> Steve Redshaw
Hi Steve,

I would definately stick to the most popular releases.  At the moment,
the biggest by far seems to be Ubuntu, and there is very good support.
I know some of the folks on the list use Mandriva though, so hopefully
they will be able to advise you better as to the support levels for that.

The main thing is that with the popular distros, someone is bound to
have come across the problem before you, and if not, you can contribute
to the community by asking the question.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Richie