[Sussex] USB Flash Drives low price

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Sat Oct 18 10:04:34 UTC 2008

On Saturday 18 October 2008 09:00:15 Andrew Guard wrote:
> I had noting to do this morning so I had look on play for the price of
> usb flash drives. I am in shock, it cheap.
>
> 16GB USB Flash drive is just £16.99. (£1.06 per GB)
> With that size you could have Linux on the USB Flash and full DVD9
> (8G) and still have space left over.
> http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3431735/Play-com-16GB-USB-Flash-Drive/Product
>.html
> http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/6044023/Play-com-16GB-USB-2-0-Flash-Drive/Pro
>duct.html
-----%<-----

Erm, bit of a stupid question here, with a mind to Andrews message, it shows a
link for both USB 1 flash drives and USB 2 flash drives.....fine.

I know that there is the technical difference between the two standards etc.

I understand (not sure if I'm correct) that the actual plugs are the
same ?????

Plus I also believe that USB 2 is backwards compatible with USB 1/1.1 etc.

So is there any point in me actually getting a USB 1 flash drive (seeing as my
system is fitted with USB 1.1 ? When it's likely that if I had a distro on a
disc, I'd be using it on someone elses (more up to date) pc which would
probably have USB 2 ??

Am I therefore, correct in my presumption, that if I get a USB 2 flash drive,
it will work in a USB 1 socket Ok, just that the read and write will only run
at USB 1 speeds ?

regards

John D.