[Sussex] pppoa

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 10:31:19 UTC 2009

Hi Angus,
Yes I am a Tiscali user.

When I see a USB modem I ditch it fast.
The reasons:-
1/ It use the computer processor to make it work so it slows down your
broadband. I have seen broadband with a 600MHz machine where the
broadband is actually slower than with dial-up.
2/ I requires the userlogin and password to entered every time.
3/ There is no firewall - disaster if you use Windows.

So throw it and replace with a proper adsl modem / router with firewall
(most do have it) and you will wonder why you ever used that USB modem.

If your provider provides the modem for free then get on to them and
tell that you have new computer with Vista and they will now send you an
ethernet connected modem and of course the user id and broadband
password is stored in the modem in flash.

Because of Vista the ISPs no longer give you a usb connected modem, it
can't work with Vista.

Once you have ethernet then you can connect freely any computer.

Desmond.