[Sussex] pppoa

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at syscall.org.uk
Fri Apr 3 12:14:26 UTC 2009

Hi Angus

Angus Robinson wrote:
> It is a Ethernet modem, i dont have a usb modem (most of the articles
> that i have  found that deal with pppoa on the net, where dealing with
> usb modems).

If you can connect a computer to it using a standard network cable then
I, and I guess most people, would call that a router not a modem despite
what it may say on the box.

> So its an Ethernet one, the modem is connected already and
> i can surf and what not but i want to be able to get the redhat linux
> box to do the authentication (internet <-- modem in bridge mode <- linux
> router to do the auth <- network). I have tried adsl-setup but that
> deals with pppoe, i have also tried pppd with pppoa plugin no go (but i
> have a feeling i am doing this wrong).

I'm confused as to want your trying to do here.  pppd is the old dial up
services that uses a serial line between two computers to exchange
network packets.  The old modem (as in Haynes compatible) converts
serial data into an audio signal to allow a serial link to be
established via a public telephone network.

With a router you don't need to do any of that - that is what the router
is for.  By the time the data is coming out of the RJ45 (network) port
at the back of the router it had already be translated into a proper
network packet and the PPPoA protocol used to get the packet to the
router is now a distant memory.

IIRC the term "bridge" can be used with an ADSL router if you are
wanting to use more than one public IP address at home (a block of eight
for example).  It comes from the old networking days when a few
computers were connected to more than one network and these systems
acted as "bridges" between the two networks.  Even in this mode you
don't have to worry about PPPoA - it is all embedded within the router.
 BTW - I don't think all ADSL routers work in this way, well they didn't
use to but things may have changed.

The term "bridge" is also used it Linux networking if you want to
configure two different NICs with the same IP address.  You would use it
for example if your ISP had assigned you more than on static IP address
(the aforementioned block of eight).  Then one NIC is connected to the
router and the other to you home public network.

You shouldn't have to worry about adsl-setup and PPPoA unless you have
an old ADSL modem, which as Desmond has already said correctly, should
be replaced with a proper ADSL router.

If you still want help, and am guessing that you do, it may help Desmond
and me if you can describe what it is you're trying to do and not what
protocols you are using.  It maybe that there is an easier way to do
what you want and if Desmond and I know what you're attempting then we
can point you in the right direction.

Steve