[Sussex] Wotcha List..... and other problems....

john davis johnsemailaccount at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 12:51:29 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 9:40 PM, Angus Robinson <angus at fairhaven.za.net>wrote:

>  Hi John
>
> Out of interest and this might not be your problem but when your system
> does go slow again, open up a terminal and see what top says ? I found
> hundreds of  gtk-gnash processes, when killed fixed my problem (my problem
> was that my system would suddenly just halt or go slowly).
>
> Regards,
> Angus
>
> Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

When the system is booted into windows, both the apps that are showing
issues are working fine. I'll get the belarc advisor to see what info it
throws up.

I don't think that it's a system thing, it would seem that it's something to
do with either graphics (which I don't believe as just about everything else
seems to work) or it's the applications having a bit of a conflict somewhere
related to the graphics, because generally firefox is fine, but when it's
trying to open one of the dropdown menu's (lets go for the obvious example
of bookmarks), it takes a good few seconds to even highlight one of the main
categories, let alone open it and show the extended list.

With the gnubg, it's slow when the "dice area" is clicked to generate a dice
throw and the counters are slow and/or jerky in the movement when the points
are selected for them to move too.

I tried the suggestion of running "top" when I had gnubg open, but it just
showed gnubg running and it's various bits of info that "top" shows.
Nothing, as far as I could see, looked excessive.

I'll have to google to find the ubuntu-uk mailing list.......

Oh and I'll post back when I've got belarc advisor and got some details of
the system (Ha! I'll boot into windows and see what info some of the
installed Packard-Bell info says - if anything).

TVM

regards

John D.

p.s. Oh and I haven't got a clue as to how I might link a desktop icon to a
process/script for the opening of the CD/DVD drawer ???