[Sussex] Wotcha List..... and other problems....

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 13:40:01 UTC 2009

Slow computer:
I am just repairing a computer which was very slow and I found that one
of the plastic clips which holds the heatsink on was broken. The result
- the processor overheats and finally shuts down. Fortunately the
processor is not damaged on this occasion. The last time I saw this
problem the processor was damaged so it meant a new processor.
Fortunately I keep the plastic brackets off the dead M/Bs, also I note
that they are available second hand on the internet.

So, absolutely nothing is beyond suspicion.

Belarc, I find, is the most useful program as it reveals all the license
numbers including those of Microsoft O/S etc.

I did once run this on somebody's machine and the license was not the
one on the Microsoft Tax sticker, I guess they mixed up the hard disks
and the stickers. A simple Microsoft restore does correct such problem.