[Sussex] Help with getting started please

Malcolm Harris westerham91 at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 9 12:16:51 UTC 2010

 Dear Fay and Harry,

Apologies if you've got this already but G-Mail is not showing it as sent.
Not sure if my subscription to SLUG mailbox is fully functioning.

Thanks for responding.

I'm at work at the moment so can't check the ancient PC but I believe it has
a 2.8 mhz Celeron processor and 256 mb of RAM.

I think the Distro disk was from Issue 88 (June) of Linux User and
Developer.

As I recall from a frustrating afternoon last weekend, the cover Distro disk
launched in Firefox, asked me to copy a link onto the (WIndows XP) desktop.
I then was required to find an ISO burner to produce an operable download of
the desktop Distro (I don't understand why the Distros on the disk aren't
bootable). The ISO burner I downloaded wouldn't run so I gave up on that. I
then tried a download from the Ubuntu site but it was coming in at 17gb (I
thought the desktop Distro was around 3 gb?!) and projected to take two days
to download. It also told me that I had slightly less (something like
248mb)than the minimum 256mb required  so I gave up on that as well.

A graphical install sounds more like my kind of interface - can you you
recommend a publication likely to have such a disk?

Best wishes,

Westerham