[Sussex] Label and partition external hard drive

'Fay Zee' sussex at eglug.org.uk
Wed Feb 23 18:38:01 UTC 2011

On 23 February 2011 09:40, Stephen Williams  wrote:
> I've used ntfs-3g with Gentoo for some time and it works very well.
Gentoo
> includes the necessary udev rules  for automounting ntfs partitions
with
> ntfs-3g as well, so it all works pretty much out of the box (as much
as
> anything Gentoo can be said to be "out of the box"). It has also
been
> completely reliable - more so than Windows 7 is.

Thanks Steve! Haven't seen you in a while.

I looked up ntfs-3g but have not drawn any conclusions.

I need this disk to backup files from Windows XP and then be able to
access and edit them in the future from both Windows XP and Debian.

To build my NTFS file system I ran the command:

# mkntfs -L "XP" "/dev/sdf1"

What command would you have run to get ntfs-3g?

I don't mind rebuilding the file system.

 Best Regards,
Fay
East Grinstead Linux User Group
www.eglugorg.uk