[Sussex] Label and partition external hard drive

Stephen Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 24 10:38:55 UTC 2011

Fay,

Thanks for your message. I'd attend tonight but I have a prior
engagement. Life is pretty busy at the moment.

On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 18:32 +0000, 'Fay Zee' wrote:
> On 23 February 2011 09:40, Stephen Williams
> <sdp.williams at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > I've used ntfs-3g with Gentoo for some time and it works very well.
> Gentoo
> > includes the necessary udev rules  for automounting ntfs partitions
> with
> > ntfs-3g as well, so it all works pretty much out of the box (as much
> as
> > anything Gentoo can be said to be "out of the box"). It has also
> been
> > completely reliable - more so than Windows 7 is.
>
> Thanks Steve! Haven't seen you in a while.
>
> I looked up ntfs-3g but have not drawn any conclusions.
>
> I need this disk to backup files from Windows XP and then be able to
> access and edit them in the future from both Windows XP and Debian.
>
> To build my NTFS file system I ran the command:
>
> # mkntfs -L "XP" "/dev/sdf1"
>
> What command would you have run to get ntfs-3g?

You'd use the standard ntfs utilities to format the drive, as you have
done.

To mount the disk manually you'd do:

mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdf1 /mnt/mountpoint

These are the relevant entries in /etc/fstab for my system:

/dev/sda1	/mnt/SYSTEM_WVU	ntfs-3g		defaults	0 0
/dev/sdb1	/mnt/PROGRAM	ntfs-3g		defaults	0 0

For automounting USB ntfs formatted disks you'd need a reasonably up to
date version of udev that includes the necessary rules. For Gentoo
systems emerging the ntfs-3g package adds the necessary entries in udev
rules, but different distros will do things differently.

The kernel should also be compiled without the inbuilt ntfs filesystem
support as this (IIRC) is read-only. You'll also need to install FUSE
support for ntfs-3g. Again, different distros may do things slightly
differently.