[Sussex] What planet are they on ?

John The Fatbloke johnsemailaccount at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 20:27:56 UTC 2011

Well, that's me back to square one! At least I've got a usable system again,
that I can actually read the text on, etc etc. Now back to trying to work
out how to get the damned windows fonts across the "partition Berlin
wall"......

On 25 October 2011 21:05, John The Fatbloke <johnsemailaccount at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>
>>  On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 15:16:39 +0000johnsemailaccount at gmail.**com<0000johnsemailaccount at gmail.com> writ
>>> Subject: [Sussex] What planet are they on ?
>>>

>>> Wotcha List,
>>>
>>> Damn I must be going mad eh ? 2 posts to the list in less than a
>>> month.......
>>>
>>> So here I am, trying to fine tune a few things with this new, all
>>> singing,
>>> all dancing version of Ubuntu ie 11.10 (I forget what idiot name they've
>>> given it.....)
>>>
>>> All I'm trying to do, is to install the windows fonts (and yes, I do have
>>> licence and install on a different partition). So, rather than bother you
>>> good people, I just google it.
>>>
>>> Which is fine as there seem to be some rather nice, helpful instructions,
>>> great! The advice followed and yes, it seems that I've managed to install
>>> the fonts, but when opening an application that might have some listing
>>> of
>>> fonts to choose from (like firefox), there's no sign of them.
>>>
>>> Ok, so I hit google again, as there seems to be no way of changing any of
>>> the system fonts etc and google gives me a different place to look, which
>>> find and try to follow.
>>>
>>> The instructions say about installing a package called something like
>>> gnome
>>> tweeks, so that's ok, I can manage something as basic as that. Job done.
>>>
>>> Obviously not, as it doesn't matter whether I just log out and back in or
>>> do a full restart, there's no sign of how to open this facility (nothing
>>> in
>>> the menu etc), so Ok, next step is to
>>>
>>> look in the "Ubuntu software centre", and all I can find is "Gnome
>>> desktop
>>> environment with added components".
>>>
>>> It's all well and good being able to install all sorts of packages but
>>> absolutely no good if there's no obvious way of running said packages.
>>>
>>> It does seem a bit weird, as I've done this a number of times before,
>>> more
>>> often than not, just clicking a few facilities and bingo, fonts installed
>>> and available. Yet with this latest version of Ubuntu, they seem to have
>>> left out or removed some of the things like this, that we "non-techie"
>>> types rely on.
>>>
>>> I mean, what good is it them producing newer versions of things if they
>>> leave out some of those kind of facilities ? Are they still aiming the
>>> *buntu's at people in the hope that they'll change from another OS ? or
>>> are
>>> have they given up on increasing market share, and just aiming it at
>>> techie
>>> types who can do all of the more basic things blindfolded ?
>>>
>>> "They" seem to make these kind of changes, apparently making things
>>> easier,
>>> but seemingly only from their own point of view - which IMO is a complete
>>> waste of time, as non-techie types don't understand or know how to do
>>> from their point of view do they ! Hell, there's not even an option to