[Sussex] ACPI problem, Debian Wheezy [Fixed]

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 07:53:28 UTC 2012

On 12/08/12 00:09, Gavin Stevens wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> I am typing this e-mail on the PC that had the ACPI problem. I noted
> that Puppy Linux had worked fine when I ran it from CD so I concluded
> that the problem wasn't the machine itself. I couldn't find a way of
> fixing it with Debian Wheezy installed as the ACPI problem prevented
> any method of successful booting into Debian.
>
> I have installed Squeeze&  everything is running well - I even went
> straight back into my old Gnome 2 desktop with everything as it used to
> be before Wheezy went over to Gnome 3 (at which point I abandoned
> Gnome).

I am quite liking Gnome 3 as it is presented in Mageia 2 (Gnome 3.4)
Everything is there (and easily found) it just doesn't have the
cluttered Desktop as on Gnome 2.
It is easy to put your own Desktop image there.
It is easy to put launchers on the taskbar together with things like
weather temperature.
You really should give Gnome 3 more chance.

> Many thanks for your help&  consideration of the problem. I'm pleased
> that this PC is up&  running again&  I can organise immediate backup
> of personal data files!

As I say all the data is there and easily found, and of course you can
easily use mc.

Just to emphasize the use of Puppy is very valuable in enabling data to
be recovered from a system that crashes or otherwise fails to start.