[Sussex] sip

Steve Dobson steve at dobbo.org
Fri Feb 3 15:22:01 UTC 2012

Hi All

I'm surprised that a discussion on SIP hasn't included Astrisk.  Astrisk
is a full blown PBX (telephone exchange) that can talk SIP, and is Linux
based too.

As to SIP phones I used 3CXPhone [www.3cx.com] on my Android phone (yes,
one can have a phone on a phone), and ekiga on Linux.  The two are easy
to configure and I've got them comunicating with an Astrisk server.
What I haven't sorted yet is the Astrisk server, I just haven't had the
time :-(  But the plan is have a PBX at home - just because I can :-)

Steve

On 03/02/12 15:12, Stephen Williams wrote:
> Bother! Wish I'd known, I'd be very willing to try Ekiga!
>
> frank james <fhj1723 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Some long time ago I tried to introduce people to sip, in the shape of
>> ekiga. There was only one person willing to have a go and after a
>> successful exchange he disappeared from view. Subsquently I have found
>> linphonec, a command line based program and found it easy to configure
>> and use.
>> I use a sip client ideasip.com and using a headset, all seems to work fine.
>> Frank James
>>
>> --

Steve "Dobbo" Dobson