[Sussex] sip

Paul Howard paul at phoward.com
Fri Feb 3 15:31:43 UTC 2012

I set up an asterisk server at home running in a VM on an old laptop and
for a few extensions/phones it works really well.

Haven't had a phone plugged into an actual phone socket for years.

I use the built in SIP client on my android phone as well as the telephone
app for OSX ( http://www.tlphn.com/ ). That way all incoming calls go to
both devices and I can answer whichever one I choose.

Steve - when you get round to it take a look at trixbox. (used to be
asterisk @home). It's one of the easiest ways of getting asterisk installed
and configured. Just make sure you have it behind a firewall and only limit
the required ports to the SIP provider. I set up a test one recently and
just port forwarded the required ports and it didn't take long at all for
someone in eastern Europe to gain my SIP ID and password. (luckily there
was only about 50p worth of credit on the test account.)

--
*Paul Howard*

web: phoward.com   |   twitter: @phowardcom <http://twitter.com/phowardcom>

tel (UK):  +44 (0)1293 738158  |  mobile (UK):  +44 (0)7903 505153   |
tel (US) : +1 251 243 0058