[Sussex] sip

Massimo Mongardini massimo at mongardini.it
Fri Feb 3 15:44:25 UTC 2012

i also have a nice home setup with 3 phones connected to an asterisk server.

The asterisk server registers 3 sip numbers, an italian, and two uk, the phones do call transfer, confcall etc. kids have lots of fun with them!

The one thing that I still need to work on is setting up a voicemail.

A friend of mine suggested Freeswitch as an incredibly powerful alternative to asterisk.

M.

Paul Howard <paul at phoward.com> wrote:

I set up an asterisk server at home running in a VM on an old laptop and for a few extensions/phones it works really well.

Haven't had a phone plugged into an actual phone socket for years.

I use the built in SIP client on my android phone as well as the telephone app for OSX ( http://www.tlphn.com/ ). That way all incoming calls go to both devices and I can answer whichever one I choose.

Steve - when you get round to it take a look at trixbox. (used to be asterisk @home). It's one of the easiest ways of getting asterisk installed and configured. Just make sure you have it behind a firewall and only limit the required ports to the SIP provider. I set up a test one recently and just port forwarded the required ports and it didn't take long at all for someone in eastern Europe to gain my SIP ID and password. (luckily there was only about 50p worth of credit on the test account.)

--
Paul Howard

web: phoward.com   |   twitter: @phowardcom

tel (UK):  +44 (0)1293 738158  |  mobile (UK):  +44 (0)7903 505153   |   tel (US) : +1 251 243 0058