[Sussex] sip

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 17:51:54 UTC 2012

On 05/02/12 17:15, Elio Crivello wrote:
> At Last some earthly problems.
> I have been trying to get the wife to "totally - impossible, still
> lots of software only for Windows"   move to Linux.  I cannot install
> Ubuntu on her Win7 lap (compaq presario).  Gparted does not read her
> HDD. I am scared to foul up her machine.  I get her to use U 10.04
> from a USB for net uses (Ancestry - co.uk.  I know  I should put some
> effort into GRAMPS). But it would be much better if I could install
> Ubuntu on her HDD and create a partition for personal data as I have
> successfully done previously, but not on this one.
> Thanks everyone.
>
> On 04/02/2012, Desmond Armstrong<desmond.armstrong at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Today I have been helping somebody with their Apple devices.
>> If I am not mistaken the Apple thing is locked and, in order to use
>> their system you are required to have an Apple no ifs or buts nothing
>> less than an Apple will do.
>>
>> I think we again need some list of the closed systems and then we need
>> to do more to persuade people to use an open system. If we can make this
>> work on the several platforms then we might make progress. The reason
>> that Skype is popular is simple because it will work on, at least the 3
>> common platforms.

Surely the Ubuntu can see the harddisk?
The issue I do sometimes have is that there are a maximum of partitions.
In such situation one has to create the extended partition, not too
difficult.

As far as I am concerned there no computer, including presario where one
cant install Linux in dual-boot mode. In fact there is no such hing as
'can't'. Of course there are various difficulties along the way but for
me they are no more than challenges.