[SWLUG] Last night's highlights...

hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Aug 21 19:03:48 UTC 2002

Just to make everyone suitably aghast that they missed it, here's
some of what we talked about last night.

Welsh translations: David was the sole Welsh-speaker actually there
this time, after two people hoping to resurrect some of the Welsh
translations both couldn't make it. Mail Gareth Bowker (don't think
he's on this list?) or Rhys if you are interested, anyway. It all
got very interesting. Gareth was going to be putting a mailing list
and webpage together about it soon.

This led on to the fun and games of the internationalisation and
localisation software packages, and gettext. Rob mentioned that
other people have troubles with this package as well (although I
love it because it's the one that lets us have en_GB and Proper
Spelling): http://gaim.sourceforge.net/forkgettext.jpg (52kb)

There was some discussion of debugging and profiling tools: anyone
who is into this should know about Valgrind, stlport, memprof,
gprof, gdb, and more that someone is going to post after I forget
'em.

http://developer.kde.org/~sewardj/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/stlport/ (apparently good for C++)
http://people.redhat.com/otaylor/memprof/  (I am not sure this is latest)
gprof and gdb are GNU tools.

There's a Linux Expo in October: 9-10 October 2002 at Olympia.
Horrible animated intro and not entirely Lynx-friendly URL:
http://www.linuxexpouk.co.uk/Index.htm

Alan was having visions of a bathroom computer. Thankfully (from
my point of view), whilst the touchscreen would be also affordable,
cabling that is safe enough for me to have a bath is very expensive
and I think I have successfully disposed of this. Despite the fact
that people kept suggesting "Well, you could..." at me. Grr!

Two social suggestions:

Several people thought we should go for a curry or a Chinese instead
of playing hunt-the-pub in Cardiff.

A barbecue whilst it's summy was also mentioned, but we can do that anyway
provided that we accept we shall induce rain :)

I expect there was other stuff. I know I was promising Neil URLs about
something and forget what. And I was only at one end of the table,
and I don't know what people talked about at the other end.

But there! Lots of stuff to chew over. This list was too quiet anyway :)

Telsa